Monday, December 12, 2011

Bridesmaid dress horror, please help?

I am a bridesmaid in my father in law's wedding. The woman he's marrying is young, 24, so there is a lot of young fashion. I live in Oklahoma where everyone else is in NY. I am moving in 4 days to Louisiana, and then My husband and I are going up 2 weeks later to NY for the wedding which will happen on Feb. 14.


I was just asked last week if I would be a bridesmaid and I was told to pick any dress any style as long as the color was apple. I even called the bride to be to see if she had any particulars on the shoes and she repeated anything as long as the dress is apple.


In my time crunch I ordered a knee length tent style dress that really looks adorable cinched at the waist. It needs no alterations because of the style, and it's in my budget, which is a little minimal due to the amount of notice. The biggest thing is, all the other dresses had open backs and I have 8 tattoos across my back. It's her day, I thought i'd put my inner tattooist away for her and I bought the only dress that you can not tell I have tats in.


My sister in law mentioned that she and the bride were talking about how I am the only one with a knee length dress. Out of 9 I am the one who will look like an IDIOT.


Should I return the dress and try to rush a new dress through alterations that will show all my ink? Should I keep my dress and just stand out? Help?Bridesmaid dress horror, please help?
This is a conversation you need to have directly with the bride, not here. You need to spell out specifically what the concerns and obstacles are and so does she. No mind reading or guessing, just brutally honest and forthright discussion. Only then can you identify the best course of action together and resolve it quickly. You have to ASK the tough questions and make her do the same. Just explain the need for your bluntness is to be sure she is happy and the outcome is what she wants. Otherwise, she can't blame you for trying to read her mind.Bridesmaid dress horror, please help?
They bought me a new dress. lol

Report Abuse



Another solution would be to have a floor length 'slip' style underskirt made in either the same or a complimentary color. I would go with a darker shade or gradation.





Honestly with all the hassles, I would return the dress and go with an open back. While not generally a fan of tattoos, I find back tattoos really beautiful, if the artwork is delicate. However if you have a huge dragon, go with a full backed dress.
If the bride thinks you're an idiot than she shouldn't have told you to pick any style, any length...as long as it's ';apple';...it's her own fault, and you should be able to wear what you chose. IShe didn't specify what length the other dresses were so it's her fault, not yours.
(rolling eyes) She really should have told you that everyone else chose a floor-length dress.


If I were you, I would not want to stick out like a sore thumb. I would return the dress and look for a new one. You might have to buy online and get express shipping which will cost extra but its better than being the only one with a short dress.
Knee length? How SHORT are the others?!?! Anyway, I suppose that if that's all that you can afford, then do that. In any event, I think the tattoos should be covered up. If they don't have a ';uniform'; dress, then you kind of have free reign to where what you want!
She said ANY DRESS as long as it's what, green apple, yellow apple, red apple? Wear what you bought. If she doesn't like it she'll be more clear on the dress code for her next marriage.
i think you should return that dress and drop out Tell her it is not enough time to find a long dress like the others.
you tell her to pick the dress! she said any apple color only.
i say don't be afraid to do this be tough be strong just think of it like a really painful boring tattoo
If you are going to feel really awkward and uncomfortable, then return the dress and get a floor length one. You have to decide if you'll feel more comfortable covering your tattoos for this (which you shouldn't have to), or if you'd rather have a dress in a style similar to the others.


The bride did say any dress as long as it's ';apple'; in color (by the way - is that green or red?) I'd ask the bride her opinion personally.





Good luck.
I would say being a ';winter'; wedding you would go with a longer dress...but from your question you were told to pick ANY dress...





Wear what you purchased...or call her and ask what she wants you to do...who cares about the tattoos...explain to her that you found a dress to cover them to respect her day and ask her if she would be ok if they showed?





I have tattoos and didnt cover them for MY wedding they were in a few of my pics...they are who I am I also didnt ask anyone else to cover theirs either they are who we are..oh and my nose is pierced too that stayed in as well
if she said ';any dress any style'; and that's what you chose and you like it, go for it...if it looks ';idiot';ic, that's her problem since she told you what she told you. and if anyone comments, just say that's what she said so that's what you got since you didn't have a lot of time to work with.





or on the other hand, you could let your ';inner tattooist'; shine, and go with a dress she may approve of and let it all hang out. be yourself, in other words. if your proud of your art, don't hide them. after all, she didn't make that a stipulation, did she??? (i'm inner-grinning here....my inner imp is taking over ;-P )





i'm good either way...go with what pleases you most. if you love the dress, keep in and wear it along with a big huge smile on your up-held head...and if you go for something more ';revealing';, so the same.





i have a huge tat of 5 autographs and a band name on my shoulder that probably will get much viewing at my daughter's wedding next summer...and she won't care one bit, and neither will i. if i happen to get a dress that covers it, oh well -- and if it shows, oh well.
I would be miffed, the bride should have mentioned that the dress should be long.


And good for you for covering up the tats so the bride does the shining on her day, and not you! That was so thoughtful!


Since you only have the sister in law's word for things, I would call the bride, and tell her what you bought and why, and get her opinion from her own mouth.


If you don't mind being the only short dress in the group, tell her that.


If you do mind, the point is moot. Go get a long dress.


You can always get a matching jacket or a stole to cover the tats during the ceremony.


Sigh, no matter which you do somebody at the wedding/reception is going to have an opinion, and as far as I am concerned, there should only be 2 people who should be concerned how you look, you and the bride.


PS:And all brides out there, I have heard this over and over her on Answers! get whatever dress you want, then when you get one it is wrong. If it were me, I would have the bride be very specific, long or short, low or high neck. That way, it is not the bridesmaids fault when things are not just right, and the bridesmaid does not get the blame.
If calling her wouldn't annoy her [she sounds like she wouldn't mind], ask her which would be more of an issue to her: you showing tattoos or having a short dress.


.. If you can't get to her [she's a very busy lady at the moment, I'm sure], or you aren't exactly comfortable with calling her again, then I'd go for getting a long dress like the others. Since the tattoos are on your back, they shouldn't be TOO much of an issue.


It's really considerate of you to put away your inner tattooist away for her... Good luck!
well ask the bride if she minds having you show off the ink work...if she really doesn't care then go ahead and get a cheap long dress. but u where right for wanting to cover up the ink. I would too. I know i had to choose a dress for my sister's wedding carefully bc she told me to cover up my ink work ......but if again she tell u she doesn't care go ahead and stand out its not your fault she didn't tell you floor length
Hi. That was nice of you to try to think of covering your tattoos, but I really don't think you need to. I am older (52), but love tattoos!! I don't think you need to cover them. Hey.....the bride should have asked you long ago. You are in a time crunch now, so you will just need to find one and get the alterations. Go to a bridal store and see if you can purchase one right off the rack. That is....IF they have one in apple red. There are always clearance dresses and discontinued styles that you can purchase off the rack. It's too late to have something ordered.





IF you cannot find a long one....then I would just keep the one you have. She should have been more specific and said.....any dress as long as it's apple red AND long!





Good luck in your search!
First, shame on the bride for not being more specific, especially on the short notice. It just shows the bride's youth and inexperience (dare I say immaturity?).





Second, I would personally look for another dress. IF I can find one, I'd probably THEN take back the knee-length dress. I wouldn't worry about the tats. If she didn't want the ink she should have said something.





That being said, you can always buy a lovely matching shawl and wear it for the ceremony and let your lovely body art show for the reception.





But if not, I wouldn't worry about it and wear the knee-length.
well.. unfortunately, usually, there are no returns on formals, esp if they had to be ordered. talk to the shop, if they will exchange it, do it for one with a wrap with it.. it will help cover the tats..there is also makeup they sell at most bridal salons that covers tats.. for brides and all in the party. see about getting some of that..





here are some sites i googled.. there are many more! the last one listed.. is supposed to be smudge proof..
If you're the only one in a shorter dress, it'll stick out forever in all the wedding pics. You have all thru January to find another dress. This is not a disaster, ok?





Yes, she had two opportunities to tell you, ';Oh, by the way, GET A LONG DRESS';, and this is a huge hassle, it's probably better that you find something that isn't backless if at all possible, and long. Or, what you can do is find a backless dress in the right color and get a small nice little shrug or something to put over your shoulders for the ceremony and pictures, and then take off for the reception if it ends up being backless.





Best of luck !!
Explain to the bride your choice was based on what you thought would be more appropriate for the day. Keep the dress, the knee length will look great. What will look tacky is all of the ink peeping through the dresses in her pictures. Most of the pictures won't show everyone from the knee down anyway, so don't worry about it. She's young, and all brides get a little weird before the day. When she sees how beautiful everything is, she'll get over it.





(I have tattoos, so not meaning this in a bad way).





Please don't wear the black tights and shrug. Yes that would be tacky. You can't help the tats that show in obviouse places (maybe a well placed ring and bracelet) just keep your drees as is, I promise it will be fine).
Will this ceremony take place in the evening, or in the afternoon? -- Frankly, floor-length gowns in the afternoon look out of place, even when there are eight of them: like a game of dress-up or a play. If you have a strong, sophisticated presence and are comfortable in an afternoon dress, you could very well look more apropos than the other eight girls.





Is it the bride who is saying you will look like an idiot, or is that your own inner critic speaking? If YOU are going to be made miserable by the dress then change it. For that matter, if the dress will make the bride *miserable*, change it. But one way or another, you're going to have to have the flair to stand out -- either flaunting your style or flaunting your ink. In fact, if your tattoos are pretty and feminine and go well with apple (which I'm assuming is green), I'd be inclined to suggest a backless short dress -- but that would be too chilly in February.





By the time the dancing starts, no-one will remember that you have a shorter dress than the other bridesmaids. In fact, once the bride starts walking down the aisle people will have started to forget what you're wearing. Just be pretty, happy and supportive; groom yourself well and stand up straight, smile at people and think about making *them* feel comfortable, and you'll have the admiration of the entire guest-list.
Shouldnt of got the awful horrible tatoos in the first place then...
Wear the dress.





You'd look more like an idiot showing your tattoos.
  • windows vista
  • Ltd
  • cash
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment