Monday, December 12, 2011

How can I modify my mermaid wedding dress and make it more flattering for my shape?

I bought this Jessica McClintock dress for my October wedding, and it is a mermaid style dress. I am a pear shape body type with a small bust, long torso, and short legs and everyone says this style of dress will not look good on me. I am 8 1/2 months pregnant so I cant even try the dress on yet and see how it looks, but have some months after my baby is due to lose the weight and alter it. I want to change it to a sweetheart neckline and was thinking about using a ribbon or something to make it look more like an empire style dress. What do you guys think? This is the dress...



http://www.jessicamcclintock.com/webapp/How can I modify my mermaid wedding dress and make it more flattering for my shape?
Shouldn't you then be looking at maternity dresses and moving this wedding up? I would think your child would rate as more important than keeping your wedding date.How can I modify my mermaid wedding dress and make it more flattering for my shape?
You may want to think about bust cups to balance out the bottom of the dress; otherwise you'll look a little bottom heavy as there is a lot of detail at the hem.
alright... A blue or powder pink ribbon around the waist would look nice... if you are a seamstress or are talking it to one... maybe cut off mermaid tail? NO NECKLINE! the style of the dress will not look good with a sweetheart neckline...



Maybe accessorize with an over dramatic necklace, but your shape should look good in the dress! Hope I helped... Have a great wedding! :)
You will have to enhance your bust to make this dress look balanced on your body type. Try a thin band of red and gold silk/satin cord/ribbon under the bust line and maybe trim the veil in the same way. I disagree that this style of dress will not look good on your body type, it is a question of proportion. Wear a shoe style with a small platform. Let the emphasis be on the upper half of your body. Lovely dress. Good luck.
I am an experienced seamstress who has vast experience in designing and creating wedding gowns. I would not advise you to change the neckline on this particular dress. The bodice of this dress has ruching (gathers) which will not work in any neckline alteration due to the extra fabric in the center panel. Any alterations to the neckline will ruin the fit in the bust area. If you wish to enhance your bust, wear a very padded push up under garment (strapless or long line bra).



Adding a ribbon to under the bust line will not create an empire style dress in this case. Why? Because you already have the horizontal details in the ruching and adding a ribbon will be too structured for this ruched bodice and torso along with the poofy scalloped bottom. Adding another horizontal feature will make you looked chopped up and it just is not cohesive with the style of this dress.



Your body type is good for this style. Add an awesome necklace or long earrings to bring the eye up and add interest to the top half of your appearance to balance out the whole look. Or, wear a veil to visually widen your shoulder area to add proportion to your silhouette.



EDIT: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the broach idea. Brilliant. This will accomplish two things. It will give you the curved lines you want at the bust line and it will be an eye catching feature which will bring the eyes up to your face. Do not wear a necklace if you do go with the broach. However, do wear long sweeping earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment