Friday, November 19, 2010

How can I get my bridesmaids to tell me how they really feel about the dresses I've picked for them?

I've recently found (what I think ) are the perfect bridesmaid dresses. My colors are earthy tones (chocolate brown and champagne) with an accent of navy blue (fall wedding) and I have 2 semi-themes. One is a sort of vintage 40's/50's elegance (my dress is being made from a vintage 50's gown pattern) and a nautical theme since the reception is on a yacht. Here is the bridesmaid dress: http://www.dessy.com/index.cfm?go=dresses%26amp;style=2060





But, I'm not so sure my girls are sold on them (though they looked GREAT in them) how do I get them to give me honest feedback? I want them all to feel beautiful but still would like to use a dress that fits with the classic, elegant theme I have going for my wedding. Any advice would help! (All the girls keep saying,'; They're nice... but if you'd rather keep looking that's OK too';-- which is no help.)How can I get my bridesmaids to tell me how they really feel about the dresses I've picked for them?
Say to them ';I really want you input on this as I want you happy and comfortable on the wedding day. Do you think that is possible in this dress, do you like them? please be honest';.How can I get my bridesmaids to tell me how they really feel about the dresses I've picked for them?
They probably won't tell you the truth. Get someone else to ask them.
Simply ask for their honesty.
I couldnt do that to mine. I let them pick out their own dresses, just told them the general shape (length, long or short sleeve) and the color and let them pick what they liked that fit their lifestyle.


For my friends wedding, she picked a weird color but picked a style that was two pieces so we could all split them up later and wear them as separates which made it easier on all of us.
That means they really don't like them very much, but they care about you, and respect that it's your decision to make, and they're just trying to be supportive.





I think they're really pretty and a bit different, too. If they'll wear them and look great in them, go with that dress.





I was recently MOH and I told the bride there was no way I'd be able to wear the dress she chose. I'm too busty for a really low-cut dress, and I was certain I'd look inappropriate for a church wedding. Privately the other girls thanked me because they hated the dress, but didn't want to say anything. That may be the situation with your girls. If you're really concerned about it, you could always pick another dress you also like and offer them to choose which one will the the dress--there would only be one dress, but they get some say.
I think its a really nice dress. Just ask them if they want that dress or if they want to keep looking. Tell them that you want them to be comfortable and it would be better for you if they told you how they felt!!
Girl, that dress is too cute. However take a look at all your maids body types, not everyone looks good in the same shape of dress, but I think that one would look cute on any body type. It's your day and it's up to you what they wear. Your day, your choice.
I guess it does not really matter if they like them or not it is your wedding and you like them that is all that matters!! FYI I actually think they are cute!!
Get someone who is neutral to ask them. Your bridesmaids may open up to someone else who they think won't mind being told the truth. She can then feed the info back to you. Be careful though, its not worth falling out with your friends over, so be careful that you don't upset them if you find out what they think and its not to your liking. Have a good wedding.
The dress is great, and you are the bride. So pick them and let them live with it.
omg! i freaking love the dresses! can i come be a bridesmaid?? i wanna wear one! :) i love them. if you like them and they are YOUR bridesmaids, they will just have to wear them. you cant change anything about it if they dont tell you. so if they wont tell you that they dont want them, then just leave it alone and let 'em wear them. this is your day! only worry about the bigger details, not if they want them or not! i hope your wedding is amazing! :)
The dress is beautiful!! Ask them if them like it?? Say I want to make sure your ok with the dress and feel good in them?
They probably wouldn't tell you if they didn't like them. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they didn't like them, it's your wedding not theirs.





I personally like them. They're very pretty.
Do the same thing I did with my bridesmaids. I picked out about 5-6 dresses that I liked and had them come to a collective decision on what they liked. Or you can just ask them what their opinions are on the dress and tell them to be honest if they don't like it then say it but make sure that you won't show if your feelings are hurt if someone says they don't like it. Just ask them to be honest.
Get someone else to give a good opinion about the dresses in their presence. They are more likely to tell the truth whilst ';chatting';. If the bridesmaids are asked they might get suspicious.
i asked my bridesmaid and she said that she didn't like the dress style so we chose another one we both liked.





but if your heart is set on these particular dresses then get them it is your wedding not theirs you only do this once (apaprently!) good luck x
just ask and you can then tell by their facial expression as they are answering. they probably wont tell you the truth though since it's your day
Its your day not theirs!


And if they are really good friend they will be telling you the truth
I think the combination of chocolate brown and champagne doesn't really go with the navy blue -- if it were a grayish blue it would be okay but the ';jewel'; color offered at this website would be very good with the brown and champagne. The style of the dress is wonderful, though.
they are not wanting to hurt your feelings. this is your wedding and they are willing to wear whatever you pick out.... i did look at your link of the bridesmaid dresses... i am not crazy about them and do not see where they are in the least bit vintage. let me rephrase that... i like the dress but i don't like it if you are calling it vintage, because it is not... my recommendation is the same as the bridesmaids... keep looking....
they are very beautiful I loved the dress what I would do is talk to them and I am sure they are going to love them who wouldnt
Stop worrying, they are gorgeous dresses, and if they really hated them you'd know! Well maybe they are too polite to say that, but they realise that it is your wedding and so your choice of dress. I was considering this very dress to wear to my brothers wedding next year.
How much are the dresses? Could THAT be the objection? Perhaps it's too expensive....





Other than that, it looks cute to me.
If you're that interested in their input, then why did you unilaterally choose a dress for them instead of choosing by general consensus? If you want their thoughts, then present them with at least 5 or 6 choices and ask your BMs to rank them. Better yet, have each submit a few choices of her own for comment from you and the other BMs. If no one chooses a bubble hem, that tells you a lot right there!





You will have a much happier wedding if bridesmaids wear dresses that they like and helped choose. Anything less than ';I love it!'; is a polite way to say ';I sure hope I don't have to wear THAT.';





We can't all be good at everything. If choosing a crowd pleasing dress isn't your strong point, then step back and let others take the lead. Don't you already have enough to do without micromanaging this? Let them choose a few dresses on their own and submit them for your approval.
It sounds to me as though you are giving off the vibe that you are not sure yourself if this is the dress you want. Your bridesmaids are trying to be flexible for you.





You could ask once more. Tell them you want them to look beautiful and be comfortable. If they give you the same answer again, then just go with what you like.





I looked at the dress and it's beautiful. Very simple and classy. If they looked great in them, then go for it!
The advice I always give my friends when trying to make a decision is this:





You have found something you like. But there is no harm in continuing to look (as long as you have time) using this one as a benchmark. Now you just look to see if you find something you like BETTER than this. If you don't find anything better, then this is the one - the right choice.





In your case, make sure you have the bridesmaids with you when you shop, so they can give input as you go along. You should really be able to get a feel for what they like and feel comfortable with.

No comments:

Post a Comment