Friday, November 19, 2010

Is the ';Ball Gown'; Style Wedding Dress Necessary for Your Wedding ?

I absolutely despise ball gown style dresses (particularly for me specifically...I am VERY short and petite) I think the style looks great on taller girls who want to pull of the fairytale princess look for their weddings. I, however, am only 4'10 and weigh about 95 lbs. I have had a couple friends of mine who were similar to my size but taller (around 5'2/5'3) who tried to pull off the ball gown look and ended up looking awful. (I was not the only one to say so...sadly) The poofy bottom of the dresses makes short girls appear even shorter.





The thing is I have found a few dresses I like but whenever anyone asks about what kind of dress I want I describe to them I want a slimming dress as I want to look classy and elegant as opposed to an even shorter. People looked at me HORRIFIED that I am not going to wear the typical poofy princess ball gown dress. Is it really that bad?!?! I feel that it's my wedding and I should wear what I feel comfortable in.





m,y fiance agrees with me. Every time he watches a wedding show with me he comments on how hideous these girls look in the dresses and that they look like bloated cupcakes and that he hopes I never wear such a thing (thank god we share the same taste on dress types LOL)





Anyways...as I said again...I don't want to offend anyone I think the style looks amazing on taller frames and If i was taller I would love to wear that style...but do you think everyone should be *SO* horrified that I am choosing not to wear that style dress?? I am starting to feel bad








Here are just a couple of the dresses I have been looking at...





http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?line=s%26amp;pageSize=96%26amp;style=ASM3263





http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?line=s%26amp;pageSize=96%26amp;style=RSM1032





http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?line=s%26amp;pageSize=96%26amp;style=SSM5210CS





http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?line=s%26amp;pageSize=96%26amp;style=JSM1103





http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?line=s%26amp;pageSize=96%26amp;style=ASM3050





http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=mystic%26amp;keywordType=any%26amp;page=0%26amp;pageSize=15%26amp;style=A3159





http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=nyna%26amp;keywordType=any%26amp;page=0%26amp;pageSize=15%26amp;style=A3235CSIs the ';Ball Gown'; Style Wedding Dress Necessary for Your Wedding ?
http://www.kanaccasbridal.com/home.php?c鈥?/a>Is the ';Ball Gown'; Style Wedding Dress Necessary for Your Wedding ?
the dresses you have links to are very beautiful. i say do what you want its your wedding. don't wear a dress that when you see your wedding photos you think how awful you look. make it YOUR own style. don't let people dictate you. it is your day make it special! :)
You wear what looks best on you. If you look and feel beautiful then (generally) everyone will think the same thing you do. Good luck and best wishes.
personally i love the 2nd one very much ,go to store and try more styles
All of those dresses are gorgeous!!! I honestly don't understand why anyone would think you have to have a certain type of dress. When they see your dress, they'll see how wrong they are.
I've never really cared for ball room style dresses myself. They're too over the top for me. In fact, so too are the ones you've provided links too. I'm more of a simple kind of girl. I would prefer a simple, probably unadorned, dress that's flattering and would be something I'd want to wear again, if with some modifications. I'm not big on the fancy beadwork, lace or any of the other popular adornments. I'm not knocking the style of the dresses your considering. All I'm trying to do is highlight that everyone has their own style. You aren't required to style your wedding to fit with someone else's ideal picture. Take your ideas and your fiance's and find a way to mesh them together to make your wedding yours.
We all want to look our absolute best on our wedding day. And the puffy ball gown style of dress simply doesn't suit every figure. When I went shopping for something to get married in I had the thought in the back of my head-that I wanted to be able to pick up my wedding album in the years to come and not shudder at some silly white puffy dress that I'd let some persuasive sales person talk me in to because it was what was ';appropriate and in fashion'; . You know what you'd look good in, go with your gut feeling on this one, I did (chose something very ';un-trendy) and haven't regretted it since.
AHAHHA... bloated cupcake... tell your fiance he's awesome! :)





I personally can't wear one of those 'slimmer' dresses... I'm chunky and without structure, I'm going to have bumps in all the wrong places and look like a moose in satin.





BUT, you should wear whatever you want to wear! My gosh, some of the most beautiful brides I've ever seen wore dresses like the links you posted. There is nothing wrong with wanting a chic, elegant wedding instead of a Cinderella wedding. People shouldn't be horrified.





Keep in mind that a lot of women have a pretty good idea of their future wedding dress whether or not they're anywhere near getting married. Maybe it just so happens that most of the women you know have been dreaming about the big poofy cupcake-gone-bad dress.





Point is, it's your wedding and you deserve to feel BEAUTIFUL. You're a tiny girl... why would you want to hide yourself under three hundred layers of tulle? Use your little frame to your advantage and wear one of those dresses that bigger girls can't. Besides, your fiance probably doesn't want to dig you out of 500 lbs of beaded organza on your wedding night.





And hey, if your maid of honor doesn't have to lift up your dress to help you pee, that's a bonus!
The people astonished by your desire to NOT wear a princess gown will probably be shocked you don't also wear a princess crown and turn into a Bridezilla. =p





My dress was more like the style you're looking at... a bit fuller skirt, but it looked great. Buy the dress that looks good on you, and even more makes you FEEL pretty!
This is your wedding day,wear what you want you are the bride. You don't have to wear a traditional dress if you don't want to. When my mom married my step-father they both wore Denim it was very cute for them. You should wear whatever you both have a style for. Find something you both agree on and like.
There are a vast variety of dress styles for a reason. Not everybody looks good in or even likes a ballgown style dress. Wear what YOU like. You don't have to wear a poofy gown. There is a fit and flair, mermaid style, etc. I think the dresses you have picked out look great. Try some on. You will find The One! Don't listen to anybody else. It is your dress, your day, your decision.





Congrats on the wedding and best of luck to you!!
While there are some beautiful ball gown dresses, and I've even found a couple that I like that aren't too poofy, they really aren't in style as much anymore. The styles you have listed here are much more in style nowadays. Go with what you want and what makes you feel beautiful. Once your friends see you in your beautiful gown they will think you are stunning.
I think the style of dress you are looking at is gorgeous!!





My dress is not the gigantic puff-ball either - - it is similar to this (and actually I think this photo makes the dress look puffier - - maybe they have a crinoline under the model, which I won't be wearing).


http://www.edenbridals.com/1347-p-1424.h鈥?/a>





And my two favorites of the ones you posted:


http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?鈥?/a>





http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.a鈥?/a>
I feel the same way---but unfortunately for me, my fiance actually likes those huge silly dresses. But too bad for him because I am going for classic, chic, and timeless. I love the JSM1103 that you posted---I bet that will be especially flattering. This is my dress which I think is along the same lines....





http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?鈥?/a>





I love your style and I have no doubt that your guests will too! Honestly, confidence looks the best on all brides.
those are actually more suitable for u than ball gowns...


short girls cant wear ball gowns. if they have to then try the waist needs to sit at natural waist and the ball cannot be too puffy.





good job!


im short(5';1). i think im gonna go with mermaid gown.
Well to begin with, girls your size can still look great in a ballgown. I am 5'1 97lbs and I wore ballgowns to my proms and back then I was tinier than I am now. I looked great!





If it isn't your style and you want to look sexy on your wedding day. This is your choice. Maybe the way you are describing what you want to others is what is catching them off guard.





Sheath gowns are very in style for weddings right now. They probably need to see what you are thinking about before they will understand.


Your fiance is saying what every other guy on the planet says about what a girl wears. If a guy can't see your body in the dress your wearing, he obviously isn't going to like it. Guys like seeing butts and boobs.





Now, there is more than just a ';couple'; of dresses you have been looking at. LoL they are very pretty, try showing the pictures to your friends and family and they might not have such a hard time picturing what kind of dress you plan to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment