Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can a bride be an Anti-Bridezilla?

I'm a bride to be, trying to keep my Matron of Honor, my Bridesmaid, and my two stepdaughters in mind with my decisions for my wedding. I am NOT paying for their dresses/shoes/etc (I can't afford it, sorry)...but I've just given them a color at David's Bridal and I'm having them each choose whatever dress style they want in the same color. This way they can be comfortable in their dresses, and choose something that flatters their different body shapes.





They are going to all wear white shoes in whatever style they like...they can buy the shoes wherever they want, so they can have shoes to wear again in the future.





I'm trying to have fun with this...the wedding isnt so Serious and if something goes wrong, so what? As long as I'm there, the JP is there and my fiance is there, everything will be fine.





I'm looking for other ideas to make it more a pleasure than a chore, to be part of my wedding party. What do you consider an ';Anti-Bridezilla';?How can a bride be an Anti-Bridezilla?
The way your handling your bridesmaids is exactly the way I'm doing it and it was what I was going to suggest. I don't understand how brides can sometimes be so demanding of their friends and family. I'm sure you already have this covered, but also let them decide how they will wear their hair. I've seen cases where brides want everyone to wear their hair in a certain style of up do! How ridiculous. There is nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in a dress or hair do ESPECIALLY when you have to get up and stand in front of a bunch of people you don't know.





Also, I might add sometimes brides are terribly mean to their mothers. I know moms can be a little crazy about their daughters weddings (i know mine is!) but we ought to cut them some slack. As much as you have been dreaming about your wedding since you were a little girl, your mother has been dreaming about it too. It's not just ';your day';. It's for you parents and close family too, otherwise why would you want them to be there? That doesn't mean you have to cave on important issues just because your family wants something or doesn't want something, we should just be a little more considerate of their thoughts.





Good luck and best wishes my fellow anti-bridezillas!How can a bride be an Anti-Bridezilla?
Just treat all as you would like to be treated cheers an good luck!

Report Abuse



While I disagree it is anyone's day but your fiance and you, I also was very focused on not straining my bridesmaids. I did many of the things you did, and treated them to hairdos (their choice) on the wedding day. I wanted to make sure their best wishes for my day didn't mean their discomfort.

Report Abuse



I'm getting married in less than a month so I understand where you are coming from. I also did not pay for my wedding party's attire. I also disagree about it being your family's day. It is all about you and your fiance and it is your special day. I think you are off to a great start. Good luck!!

Report Abuse



I just got married last year. I went to David's Bridal with my bridal party. I gave the store clerk the color I wanted. She went through and found dresses for them to try on . I let them make the decision as a team on what they would wear.

Report Abuse



I like your shoe idea and if it is a summer wedding you may want to suggest up dos to keep your bridal party cooler.

Report Abuse



My husband and I had our wedding at my parent's house. We only invited close friends and relatives. We had zero stress and it was so fun. We have close friends that married each other and the bride was so worried about perfection that she wasn't able to enjoy herself.

Report Abuse



my husband and i got married 1.5 yrs ago. we did it in a park with only 4 people in the wedding party, the other 4 were guest. i told them we were wearing blue and white. it was small and enjoyable for all. but i invited all the family to the reception. all together under $1000. no stress, no mess

Report Abuse



It sounds like you're off to a great start...just remember it's a day of celebration and that the people surrounding you are there to love and support you.
i know you cant afford their dresses, but maybe take them out to lunch to sit and just discuss how the wedding plans are going. it doesnt have to be an expensive place, but i think they would appreciate it.


%26lt;3
You're on the right track! Don't make demands of everyone and keep on considering them in decisions that need to be made. Yes, it's your day, but that doesn't give any bride the right to be, frankly, a *****. When it comes time for dress fittings, make a party out of it. Have lunch with the group that day.





It's great that you have the attitude that if something goes wrong, so what! Things can go wrong. How you respond to issues that come up makes a difference to everyone concerned.





Good luck to you!
It's hard to keep everyone happy, but at least you have taken into account that people may not all feel comfortable in the same dresses. I'm also of the mind that no matter how much planning you do, something can always go wrong, and there is little point in stressing too much about it (even though we all want the perfect day) I say you're doing fine, keeping it chilled out and not getting yourself all panicky about everything.
I think a gal becomes a bridezilla when she obsesses and becomes demanding about the tiniest little issue...she makes a thing over the hairstyle others will wear, their clothing choices...I've even heard of brides requiring the bridal party to all wear certain fragrances! Don't get caught up in the minute detail, enjoy the overall picture, and I'm sure nobody will think you're a bridezilla!
Sounds like there is no way you are one. A true Bridezilla doesn't care. Kind of a dictator if you will.
That's great that they're allowed to pick their own dresses. I was a MOH a while back and was allowed to pick my own dress as well - even the colour. (She couldn't make up her mind on colours and said whatever dress I pick would be the colour of her wedding. Haha.) Sounds like you're off to a great start!





But watch out that you aren't *too* accomodating. Sure, you don't want to be bitchy about stuff, but you don't want to turn into a ';yes woman'; to please everyone around you. Make sure you say no sometimes and do what you want to do!
I'm going about it the same way as you! You're doing just fine. I also let my bridesmaid's pick out their dresses and shoes - paid for by them. As a bonus, I'm going to buy them their jewelry and clutch-bags as gifts. I told mine to wear their hair however they like - I don't know if you've done that yet. I can't think of much else you haven't been already saying - but I guess just remind them how honored you are to have them with you, and ask for their advice, and laugh with them, that means much, much more than anything!


Some brides go nuts over every detail, I agree! You have a great attitude about it and it's nice to see someone else that feels the way I do! You're right - if something goes wrong, oh well! It may be something to look back and and laugh about. I just can't wait to say '; I do'; while looking into my fiancee's eyes!


So have a happy, beautiful wedding and congratulations! Stay happy!
Read this; I think you might enjoy it.


The act of becoming a Bridezilla has gotten a name; a psychological disorder called, Acquired Situational Narcissism





http://www.slate.com/id/2167299/?GT1=101鈥?/a>





Sounds like you have everything in the right perspective. Good luck %26amp; congratulations!
Professional Advice --- Since that Tv show came out so many brides are worried about their own attitudes. It is a great wake-up call to many people. But ultimately if you ahve watched one show after another you'll see that these Brides took NO consideration into how the people around them were treated. Constantly ask them what they think, dont be afraid to. The point of attendants is to have that back-up when you are unsure of what you should do. Not order them around like a drill sgt. If they think that something is too pricy and that they could something simliar for cheaper, go with them on that. They are not trying to be cheap, they are looking at ways to save you time and money, as well as themselves.
just remember that its not all about you but its about you and your fiance coming together to get married which is a really special time what you can also do is do NOT get your expectations that high or you will blow!
good idea.
sounds like you are doing great to me... I have seen brides that make their bridesmaids go on a diet just to ';look better'; for the wedding and more crazy things. as long as you let them know you appreciate them I think you are fine

No comments:

Post a Comment